Before I delve into my 101 Things About 2017, I have to credit my fellow copywriter and talented all-around wordsmith, Megan Rose. Recently she posted what I am about to attempt below on her website. Check out her website for her list, before reading mine and laughing.
Twelve Things I Learned
- That organising a wedding isn’t as stressful as people say it is.
- That I can’t run as fast as I used to (I’m falling apart and I’m only 36!)
- How to read an electricity meter correctly. Who knew?
- That I want to work for myself – I’m tired of ‘the man’.
- That I’m bored with people moaning about what they did with Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi.
- That, like authors, copywriters are supportive and want you to succeed.
- That I don’t miss shopping in ASDA, Bootle with its excessive use of fridges.
- That I quite like salmon.
- To ignore people who only want to put you down.
- How to sync up separate Amazon Echo’s to play the same thing simultaneously.
- That Twitter is the best way to network (for me).
- That, when it comes to something you enjoy, only your (well mine, but yours when it’s you) opinion counts.
Three Things I Could Have Done Without
- Being made redundant.
- Only being able to find a job with longer hours and fewer breaks.
- Having a seagull flying into the side of my head on the way to work.
Four Good Things That Happened
- Red Dwarf actually had some episodes that could be classed as ‘classics’ (except Timewave, that could have gone in the Three Things I Could Have Done Without section).
- Three friends got married, giving us lots of ideas for our own.
- Snared my first clients and did some excellent work for them.
- Being asked to judge a writing competition at a prestigious college in Manchester.
Eight Things I Was Given That Made Me Happy
- Dennis the Menace pyjamas (I’m a Beano fiend!)
- New Trainers
- Encouragement from Elaine that I can succeed working for myself.
- A healthy redundancy package.
- New Slippers – it feels like walking on marshmallow.
- Vouchers for a meal at an exclusive restaurant. Can’t wait to use those!
- The X-Files complete Blu-Ray box set
- A new jumper – Oh God, that’s slippers and a jumper, what next? A pipe? It is comfy though…
Four Things That Stole Too Much Time
- My day job.
- The Walking Dead (I gave up after four episodes of the latest series. Dull. Dull. Dull.).
- Silly people on the ‘My Neighbour’ app.
And Four Things I Wish I’d Spent That Time On
- Writing my novel more
- Going to the cinema (just twice last year, a personal low!)
- More day-trips out with Elaine
- Anything. Anything else.
Eight Happy Moments
- Asking my friend Pete to be my Best Man.
- Every evening meal and stroll on holiday with my gorgeous wife-to-be, Elaine.
- Completing my Copywriting Diploma.
- Booking our honeymoon.
- Going to the cinema with my Mum for the first time since 1993!
- Inspiring a girl with learning difficulties to write stories during an author workshop. Lump in throat moment.
- Relaxing on the balcony during the summer.
- United winning the Europa League to complete the list of winning every trophy it’s possible to win.
Eleven TV Highlights
- Doctor Who
- The Hairy Bikers Christmas (it was like a soothing massage before work every morning in December).
- The Great British Bake-Off (thank God it wasn’t rubbish).
- Game of Thrones (I know, I’m a bit late to the party).
- Red Dwarf
- Prison Break
- Blue Planet II
- The Middle (so good, yet known by so few).
- Stranger Things
Three Books I Enjoyed
I’m guilty of having read only three because when I’m writing, I can’t read much. One of these books is my own, which I must have read 97 times. Ah, editing and proofreading, will it ever end? :D)
- The Humans by Matt Haig
- The Fantastical Gregory Shortbread by Me
- The Beano Annual 2017 – yeah, I’m counting it!
Ten Movies I Enjoyed (not necessarily 2017 releases)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Paddington 2
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople
- The Jungle Book (Live action. Fab.)
- Beauty and the Beast
- Eddie the Eagle
Eight Great Things That Happened With The Business
- Starting it!
- Gaining my first client.
- Designed my own business cards.
- Was made the ‘Go to‘ copywriter for three web designers.
- Added Kayleigh as a Graphic Designer to create a partnership.
- Went to a business workshop and got some great advice
- Name the business – I always get compliments on it.
- Networked with some fantastic writers.
Eight New Online Business-People-Friends on Social Media
Two Things Coming Soon To The Business
- More Blog posts. I must get better at blogging.
- Writing a whole website for a new startup company we’ve already designed the branding for.
Eight Amazing Experiences
(I had to change it from Awesome to Amazing, the former is just too American for me as I’m a dour Mancunian haha!)
- My Name Is Prince Exhibition at 02. Spellbinding.
- Visiting Sagrada Familia.
- Walking up and looking across the top of Malham Cove
- Our room when we went to London. Honestly, it was futuristic!
- The pizza I had in London, second only to one I had in Slovenia in 2008 (that one will never be beaten on taste).
- Ice Cream abroad – you can’t beat it.
- The Nou Camp Stadium Tour
- Completing my novel!
Seven Favourite Places Where I Spent Time
- At home (with Elaine, there’s no place better).
- Tossa De Mar
- Manchester – seeing family is always special
- Liverpool – I’ve had some amazing times here this year, and you can’t beat Cruise Ship season.
One Unexpected Moment
- Going on a Fruit & Veg run around Liverpool with a potential client after a meeting.
2018 is a year I’m aiming to bring in more work for the business and, hopefully, be in a position to either go freelance full-time by the end of the year (or at least part-time).
What are you 101 Things About 2017?
I’d love to hear them!